Occasions like Mother’s Day can be special even when in solidary – with time well spent together creating a memorable weekend brunch. What was meant to be shared amidst elegant ambience at The Spot, WAKANUI Grill Dining and Perch can now be reimagined in the comfort of our homes with recipes of three very different dishes by our chefs Ryohei Kenyoshi and Lee Boon Seng.
A true meat lover will never shy away from a well-dressed, well-cooked lamb chop. In this recipe for WAKANUI Spring Lamb Chop, Chef Kenyoshi has adapted it to suit home-based cooking without taking the lavishness away from it.
WAKANUI Spring Lamb with buckwheat seeds salad, baked beetroot and honeysuckle sauce. (Serves 2)
300g Lamb chop (6 chops)
100g Buckwheat seeds
1 Bay leaf
80ml Chicken stock
8 tbs Extra virgin olive oil
30g Shallots, finely chopped
100 g Beetroot, cubed 1cm
50g Honeysuckle, fresh or frozen
70ml Lamb Stock
TT Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Toss cubed beetroot in 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, and season them with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until a fork can be easily inserted through the beetroot. Set that aside.
- Add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to a large pan and bring it up to a high heat.
- Salt and pepper both sides of lamb chops and pan sear them for 30 seconds on each side. Next, sear them on the bone side and flesh side for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Set the lamb chops aside.
- In a medium sized pot, bring the water, to a boil and add buckwheat seeds to it, along with one bay leaf. Boil it for 20minutes or until the buckwheat seeds become al dente.
- Drain the buckwheat and in a separate bowl, toss it with chicken stock, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, and finely chopped shallots. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a sauce pan, combine honeysuckle, and lamb stock. With an immersion blender, puree the mixture until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Warm the puree over medium low heat and season to taste.
- Place buckwheat salad onto the serving plate and lay 3 pieces of lamb chops on top of it.
- Serve honeysuckle sauce and baked beetroot on the side.
- If lamb stock is not available, it may be substituted with beef or chicken stock.
- For a well-balanced meal, serve with a side of mixed greens or watercress salad.